Friday, July 14, 2006

Canada's Identity

A friend and I were talking a few days ago about the Canadian identity. We could not help notice that over the past month people have been grabbing their homelands flag in the support of their country's soccer team. I have nothing against that. In fact, I find that to be a beautiful thing about Canada. The extreme presence of each culture creating such a multi-cultured society. Although, I noticed come July 1st, many people were still celebrating their country in the World Cup and had forgotten Canada's birthday. Not to bring anybody down but isn't this beautiful country the reason we are able to celebrate?

So, what is to be done with this here land of ours? How can we get back on track and give Canada the democratic salute it deserves? I may have a Dutch heritage that I am proud of but, I am Canadian first!

No comments: